• Home
  • Top Stories
  • Property Rights of Bruce’s Beach Might Return to Family Descendents, According to L.A County Officials

Property Rights of Bruce’s Beach Might Return to Family Descendents, According to L.A County Officials

| lafocus | , , | 1 Comment

Dianne Lugo

A century ago, encouraged by disgruntled white neighbors and Ku Klux Klan members, the city of Manhattan Beach seized Bruce’s Beach from Willa and Charles Bruce, an ambitious Black couple who purchased the beach resort in 1912. The two successfully transformed the property into a popular destination and community for Black Angelenos.

Citing eminent domain and plans to build a city park, the city seized the Bruce’s land in 1924 along with the land of other Black property owners who had settled in Bruce’s Beach.

Activists are now hoping the city will address its racist history and restore property rights to the Bruce family’s descendants.

“I promised the Bruce’s family that I would not stop until they received the land back. Until they received restitution for lost income. And until they received money for their civil right being stolen and snatched away from them,” said Kavon Ward. He spearheaded the movement that brought attention to Bruce’s Beach Park and its unsavory history last year.

Ward’s and the Black Lives Matter organization’s efforts seem to have been successful.

“The property that was once the Bruce’s is now owned by the County and I want LA County to be part of righting this wrong,” said Janice Hahn, LA County Supervisor, in a statement last week. “I am looking at everything from repurposing the property in a way that tells the history of Bruce’s Beach to actually giving the property back to the descendants of Charles and Willa Bruce.”

The last living direct descendent of Willa and Charles Bruce, Anthony Bruce, has also urged officials to change a plaque installed after the park was renamed in the mid-2000s to “Bruce’s Beach” to give recognition to the park’s history.

“The first thing we need to get right is the information about the plaque. We need to make sure the plaque tells the exact story about what happened,” said Anthony Bruce. “That was our property. And they removed it with eminent domain, which was pretty much like using the law to pretty much commit a crime.”

Manhattan Beach city has also established a 15-member task force that will present its recommendations for the park’s future to the city council at some point this year. It is expected the city will not only change the plaque, add artwork and issue a formal apology but perhaps also return land rights to the Bruce family.

“They haven’t won their land yet. Supervisor Hahn is committed to ensuring they get it back, but it isn’t set in stone yet,” one close family source told L.A Focus.


Comment

  • You made some decent points there. I regarded on the internet for the difficulty and located most people will go together with together with your website….

Comments are closed.


More Coverage

California Senate Gets Second Chance to Pass Prison Slavery Bill This Week

Antonio‌ ‌Ray‌ ‌Harvey‌ ‌|‌ ‌California‌ ‌Black‌ ‌Media‌ On June 23, the California Senate rejected a constitutional…

Generation Z Sparking the ‘Great Resignation’ as Employers Realize Shortages

Stacy M. Brown/ NNPA Newswire The pandemic has spurred the Great Resignation phenomenon, and it is still on. Many wor…

South L.A. Church Blesses City With $20,000 in Free Gasoline

As gas prices continue to surge in California—surpassing even the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at some Los Angeles g…

Hundreds of Compton Residents Chosen for Guaranteed Income Program

Dianne Lugo Compton has joined in participating in a successful program to grant some of its residents a guaranteed i…

Pastor Tyron Robinson Named to Succeed Bishop Paul Morton

Staff Last year, nationally renowned pastor and gospel singer Bishop Paul S. Morton announced he would step down as s…

New Fund Will Grant $10,000 to Struggling Local Business Owners

Staff More relief for local Los Angeles small business owners is on the way. A new fund, the LA Regional COVID Fund, …

Probe Into Prison Deaths Ends Up Uncovering $8 Billion in Untracked State Money

Aldon Thomas Stiles | California Black Media What started out as an investigation into inmate deaths in some of Calif…

Despite Massively Successful Fundraising Efforts, Community Group Fails to Purchase Crenshaw Mall

Dianne Lugo The saga of the historic Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza ownership continues with local Black community orga…

Latest Politics

Faith Community Celebrates Famed Preacher Manuel Scott Jr.’s 40 Years of Evangelism

Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $500K To Woman He Assaulted in 1975

The Lookout: Four California Criminal Justice Reform Laws That Took Effect This Year

Bill That Would Allow Calif. Parents to Sue Social Media Companies Moves Forward

Pres. Biden, V.P. Harris Praise Rep. Bass for Leadership on George Floyd Policing Act


© Copyright 2021 - LA Focus Newspaper