• Home
  • Top Stories
  • Los Angeles County Announces Emergency COVID-19 Rental Relief Program

Los Angeles County Announces Emergency COVID-19 Rental Relief Program

| lafocus | , , , ,


The one-year anniversary of Los Angeles’ COVID-19 shutdown has come and gone, and for many, the ensuing financial burden continues.

“Hundreds of thousands are struggling to pay their rent on time or even to pay it at all,” acknowledged Supervisor Janice Hahn back in January of 2021.

Along with Supervisor Hilda Solis, Hahn successfully motioned for the extension and expansion of the local rent relief program and eviction moratorium in January. Now, Angelinos can also turn to the city’s Emergency Renters Assistance Program (ERAP), which will open applications on March 30.

Residents will have until through April 30 to apply.

“The Los Angeles Emergency Rental Assistance Program is designed to help landlords and tenants catch up on back rent. The program will provide a temporary rental subsidy for tenants who live in the City of Los Angeles and are unable to pay rent due to circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic,” explained Councilmember Marqueece Harris-Dawson in a statement.

To be eligible, applicants must meet three requirements:
Residents of the City of Los Angeles, regardless of immigration status. To verify you live in the City of Los Angeles, go to: neighborhoodinfo.lacity.org;
One or more individuals within the household have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship, directly or indirectly, due to the COVID-19 outbreak; and
The household income is at or below 50 percent of the area median income (AMI).

Those eligible will then be randomly selected. However, the program will prioritize applicants with past-due, unpaid rent. Similar to the state program, the program can pay 80 percent of a tenant’s past-due rent for the period of April 1, 2020, through March 31, 2021, but only if their landlord agrees to pay the remaining 20 percent.

If a landlord does not agree, the program will help pay 25 percent of the tenant’s past-due, unpaid rent, as well as up to 25 percent of their upcoming future rent for 3 months.

To apply visit hcidla.lacity.org or call the ERAP hotline.

More Coverage

California Senate Gets Second Chance to Pass Prison Slavery Bill This Week

Antonio‌ ‌Ray‌ ‌Harvey‌ ‌|‌ ‌California‌ ‌Black‌ ‌Media‌ On June 23, the California Senate rejected a constitutional…

Generation Z Sparking the ‘Great Resignation’ as Employers Realize Shortages

Stacy M. Brown/ NNPA Newswire The pandemic has spurred the Great Resignation phenomenon, and it is still on. Many wor…

South L.A. Church Blesses City With $20,000 in Free Gasoline

As gas prices continue to surge in California—surpassing even the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at some Los Angeles g…

Hundreds of Compton Residents Chosen for Guaranteed Income Program

Dianne Lugo Compton has joined in participating in a successful program to grant some of its residents a guaranteed i…

Pastor Tyron Robinson Named to Succeed Bishop Paul Morton

Staff Last year, nationally renowned pastor and gospel singer Bishop Paul S. Morton announced he would step down as s…

New Fund Will Grant $10,000 to Struggling Local Business Owners

Staff More relief for local Los Angeles small business owners is on the way. A new fund, the LA Regional COVID Fund, …

Probe Into Prison Deaths Ends Up Uncovering $8 Billion in Untracked State Money

Aldon Thomas Stiles | California Black Media What started out as an investigation into inmate deaths in some of Calif…

Despite Massively Successful Fundraising Efforts, Community Group Fails to Purchase Crenshaw Mall

Dianne Lugo The saga of the historic Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza ownership continues with local Black community orga…

Latest Politics

Faith Community Celebrates Famed Preacher Manuel Scott Jr.’s 40 Years of Evangelism

Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $500K To Woman He Assaulted in 1975

The Lookout: Four California Criminal Justice Reform Laws That Took Effect This Year

Bill That Would Allow Calif. Parents to Sue Social Media Companies Moves Forward

Pres. Biden, V.P. Harris Praise Rep. Bass for Leadership on George Floyd Policing Act

© Copyright 2021 - LA Focus Newspaper