• Home
  • Posts
  • Top Stories
  • Family of Unarmed Man Killed by Colton Police to Receive Record $5.4 Million

Family of Unarmed Man Killed by Colton Police to Receive Record $5.4 Million

| lafocus |

Civil rights attorney Carl Douglas has announced that the three young children of Christopher Vargas, a 25-year-old man who died after a violent confrontation with police in 2016 have settled their federal lawsuit against the City of Colton for $5.4M, the largest settlement involving an officer-involved-shooting in the city’s history.

“When anyone first hears that the City of Colton paid $5.4 million to settle a wrongful death shooting case, their first reaction is usually ‘wow, something really bad must have happened,’ and they would be right,” said attorney Carl Douglas.  “Something really bad did happen. A young man’s life was taken for no good reason at all because two reckless police officers decided to exercise ‘street justice’ at the conclusion of a high-speed stolen car chase. The passenger in the car was shot in the back of his head, while raising both hands up in the air, and three young babies were left without a father forever.”

The settlement stems from September 12, 2016, when police were chasing a reported stolen car in Colton. The chase ended in the 900 block of East C Street in front of Washington High School when the car accelerated forward ramming the patrol car pushing it into one of the officers. Officers fired 8 bullets into the driver’s side of the car after it had come to a complete stop and both suspects had raised their hands in the air in an effort to surrender.  The driver, Joseph Carter, was struck three times in the hand, arm, and face and survived.  The passenger, Christian Vargas, who was unarmed, was struck four times in the hand, both arms and head, and died at the scene.  He died just six days after his 25th birthday.

“I am glad that our two daughters will now be taken care of, but I cry every time I think about the father that they will never come to know,” said Alicia Guzman.

Stephany Ebarra added, “Our son misses his Dad so much and cannot understand why his life was taken away from him. It is hard for me to explain it in a way that makes any sense.”

Attorney Douglas added, “No amount of money will ever adequately compensate Mr. Vargas’ children for the pain these officers caused, but at least the City of Colton has stepped up to do their part to say they are sorry. This case has taken far too long for justice.


lafocus

| lafocus |

More Coverage

California Senate Gets Second Chance to Pass Prison Slavery Bill This Week

Antonio‌ ‌Ray‌ ‌Harvey‌ ‌|‌ ‌California‌ ‌Black‌ ‌Media‌ On June 23, the California Senate rejected a constitutional…

Generation Z Sparking the ‘Great Resignation’ as Employers Realize Shortages

Stacy M. Brown/ NNPA Newswire The pandemic has spurred the Great Resignation phenomenon, and it is still on. Many wor…

South L.A. Church Blesses City With $20,000 in Free Gasoline

As gas prices continue to surge in California—surpassing even the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at some Los Angeles g…

Hundreds of Compton Residents Chosen for Guaranteed Income Program

Dianne Lugo Compton has joined in participating in a successful program to grant some of its residents a guaranteed i…

Pastor Tyron Robinson Named to Succeed Bishop Paul Morton

Staff Last year, nationally renowned pastor and gospel singer Bishop Paul S. Morton announced he would step down as s…

New Fund Will Grant $10,000 to Struggling Local Business Owners

Staff More relief for local Los Angeles small business owners is on the way. A new fund, the LA Regional COVID Fund, …

Probe Into Prison Deaths Ends Up Uncovering $8 Billion in Untracked State Money

Aldon Thomas Stiles | California Black Media What started out as an investigation into inmate deaths in some of Calif…

Despite Massively Successful Fundraising Efforts, Community Group Fails to Purchase Crenshaw Mall

Dianne Lugo The saga of the historic Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza ownership continues with local Black community orga…

Latest Politics

Faith Community Celebrates Famed Preacher Manuel Scott Jr.’s 40 Years of Evangelism

Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $500K To Woman He Assaulted in 1975

The Lookout: Four California Criminal Justice Reform Laws That Took Effect This Year

Bill That Would Allow Calif. Parents to Sue Social Media Companies Moves Forward

Pres. Biden, V.P. Harris Praise Rep. Bass for Leadership on George Floyd Policing Act


© Copyright 2021 - LA Focus Newspaper