• Home
  • Posts
  • Uncategorized
  • Civil Case Against Former D.A. Jackie Lacey and Her Husband Allowed to Move Forward

Civil Case Against Former D.A. Jackie Lacey and Her Husband Allowed to Move Forward

| lafocus |

Last month, a judge ruled that David Lacey, the husband of former Los Angeles County D.A. Jackie Lacey, would avoid jail time in the three misdemeanor charges of assault with a firearm when on March 2, 2020, he pulled a gun on—and threatened—Black Lives Matters protesters just days before his wife’s election primary.
      The 67-year old will instead enter a diversion program and be required to perform 100 hours of community service, attend gun safety courses and anger management as well to have the criminal case against him dismissed.
      However, he will not entirely be off the hook. Still pending is a civil lawsuit filed by Black Lives Matter activists Dr. Melina Abdullah, Dahlia Ferlito, and Justin Marks against both the former D.A. and her husband in connection with the incident. The 16-page lawsuit alleges assault, negligence, and infliction of emotional distress.
      This week, that case was allowed to move an L.A. Superior Court judge allowed the case to move forward.
      “Dr. Melina Abdullah, Dahlia Ferlito, and Justin Marks are thrilled that we have now overcome all of the procedural challenges and can turn the spotlight of this matter back on David Lacey’s outrageous use of force against three peaceful protesters,” said Attorney Carl Douglas, who was retained by BLM.
      “Jackie Lacey and her army of lawyers have thrown every procedural hurdle known to man against us, and today, finally, Judge Theresa M. Traber said enough is enough, let’s move this case towards a jury trial. That process begins now with us placing Jackie and David Lacey under oath forcing them to answer for their outrageous transgressions.”

lafocus

| lafocus |

More Coverage

California Senate Gets Second Chance to Pass Prison Slavery Bill This Week

Antonio‌ ‌Ray‌ ‌Harvey‌ ‌|‌ ‌California‌ ‌Black‌ ‌Media‌ On June 23, the California Senate rejected a constitutional…

Generation Z Sparking the ‘Great Resignation’ as Employers Realize Shortages

Stacy M. Brown/ NNPA Newswire The pandemic has spurred the Great Resignation phenomenon, and it is still on. Many wor…

South L.A. Church Blesses City With $20,000 in Free Gasoline

As gas prices continue to surge in California—surpassing even the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at some Los Angeles g…

Hundreds of Compton Residents Chosen for Guaranteed Income Program

Dianne Lugo Compton has joined in participating in a successful program to grant some of its residents a guaranteed i…

Pastor Tyron Robinson Named to Succeed Bishop Paul Morton

Staff Last year, nationally renowned pastor and gospel singer Bishop Paul S. Morton announced he would step down as s…

New Fund Will Grant $10,000 to Struggling Local Business Owners

Staff More relief for local Los Angeles small business owners is on the way. A new fund, the LA Regional COVID Fund, …

Probe Into Prison Deaths Ends Up Uncovering $8 Billion in Untracked State Money

Aldon Thomas Stiles | California Black Media What started out as an investigation into inmate deaths in some of Calif…

Despite Massively Successful Fundraising Efforts, Community Group Fails to Purchase Crenshaw Mall

Dianne Lugo The saga of the historic Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza ownership continues with local Black community orga…

Latest Politics

Faith Community Celebrates Famed Preacher Manuel Scott Jr.’s 40 Years of Evangelism

Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $500K To Woman He Assaulted in 1975

The Lookout: Four California Criminal Justice Reform Laws That Took Effect This Year

Bill That Would Allow Calif. Parents to Sue Social Media Companies Moves Forward

Pres. Biden, V.P. Harris Praise Rep. Bass for Leadership on George Floyd Policing Act


© Copyright 2021 - LA Focus Newspaper