• Home
  • Top Stories
  • California Rent Relief Applications Open for Landlords and Tenants

California Rent Relief Applications Open for Landlords and Tenants

| lafocus | , , ,

Staff

The portal for landlords and tenants to apply for California’s COVID-19 rent relief opened on Monday and the application system received over 20,000 within 24 hours.

The influx of applicants is unsurprising as tenants and landlords continued to fall behind in rent and mortgage payments after the pandemic left millions without jobs across the nation.

“Whether it’s a health-related event or a significant financial hardship, COVID-19 has affected us all,” recognizes the program on the homepage.

A total of $2.6 billion will be available for income-eligible households that need help paying rent and utilities. The money comes from federal funds made available through December’s stimulus law, the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 that Gov. Gavin Newsom signed.

Eligible tenants must be low-income, with a household income at or below 80 percent of their area’s median income. This income will be based on 2020 or current income, acknowledging how the pandemic drastically changed the incomes of many.

If approved, tenants will have all debt accrued from April 1 of last year to March 31, 2021, wiped away, but only if their landlord agrees to forgive 20 percent of the debt. The state will pay owners the remaining 80 percent. Without landlord agreement, the state will provide funds to pay a quarter of owed rent.

“We know that tenants and landlords have been stressed. They have been worried about what’s going to happen. And we can now give them a program that gives them a clear path forward of how to help resolve the unfortunate situation where a lot of folks fell behind on their rent,” said Geoffrey Ross, deputy director for federal financial assistance at the California Department of Housing and Community Development according to KQED.



More Coverage

California Senate Gets Second Chance to Pass Prison Slavery Bill This Week

Antonio‌ ‌Ray‌ ‌Harvey‌ ‌|‌ ‌California‌ ‌Black‌ ‌Media‌ On June 23, the California Senate rejected a constitutional…

Generation Z Sparking the ‘Great Resignation’ as Employers Realize Shortages

Stacy M. Brown/ NNPA Newswire The pandemic has spurred the Great Resignation phenomenon, and it is still on. Many wor…

South L.A. Church Blesses City With $20,000 in Free Gasoline

As gas prices continue to surge in California—surpassing even the federal minimum wage of $7.25 at some Los Angeles g…

Hundreds of Compton Residents Chosen for Guaranteed Income Program

Dianne Lugo Compton has joined in participating in a successful program to grant some of its residents a guaranteed i…

Pastor Tyron Robinson Named to Succeed Bishop Paul Morton

Staff Last year, nationally renowned pastor and gospel singer Bishop Paul S. Morton announced he would step down as s…

New Fund Will Grant $10,000 to Struggling Local Business Owners

Staff More relief for local Los Angeles small business owners is on the way. A new fund, the LA Regional COVID Fund, …

Probe Into Prison Deaths Ends Up Uncovering $8 Billion in Untracked State Money

Aldon Thomas Stiles | California Black Media What started out as an investigation into inmate deaths in some of Calif…

Despite Massively Successful Fundraising Efforts, Community Group Fails to Purchase Crenshaw Mall

Dianne Lugo The saga of the historic Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza ownership continues with local Black community orga…

Latest Politics

Faith Community Celebrates Famed Preacher Manuel Scott Jr.’s 40 Years of Evangelism

Bill Cosby Ordered to Pay $500K To Woman He Assaulted in 1975

The Lookout: Four California Criminal Justice Reform Laws That Took Effect This Year

Bill That Would Allow Calif. Parents to Sue Social Media Companies Moves Forward

Pres. Biden, V.P. Harris Praise Rep. Bass for Leadership on George Floyd Policing Act


© Copyright 2021 - LA Focus Newspaper